CONSTRUCTION/MODIFICATIONS >>

This is my recast of the B-Club 1/100 AGX-04 Gerbera Tetra. I decided to break my teeth into the world of resin with this guy. It was a fun build, yet there were many parts that needed cleanup. The casting was sloppy, many details were not as crisp as I was lead to believe resin to be, and to top it off, it was missing one of the smallest piece of shit parts that I had to scratchbuild later on....alas, I was still extremely happy with the (somewhat expensive) purchase and even moreso, the final finished result.

Springs-  I took lead from Peter Savin of models4you(who, incidentally, was the only other person who built a B-Club GB Tetra and posted pics) and replaced all molded power cables with wave springs. Different sizes of course. Here are the arm shots:

pre-springs
post-springs
...and here are the head shots:
 
no helmet
with helmet
...and here are springs I added to the foot/lower leg assembly:
...I also have added springs (front and back) to the junction at the knees, and replaced springs at the waist, but I have no progress shots...sorry.

Hands- This guy's left hand was really scary. It looked really kind of bony and freaky. I could not have that so I chopped off the fingers...one by one...gangster style. I replaced each finger with scratchbuilt ones. I used different sized rods to imitate that difference in finger sizes. I also had to fill in some of the 'craters' on the uderside of the hand with SGT. I later rescribed a few lines to recreate the lost detail. The result is a better looking hand that is also completely poseable:

old hand
new hand
done hand

Gun- After assembling, I thought the gun was kind of funky looking...in a bad way. It looked to me like two seperate pieces from totally different guns were stuck together. I wanted to smooth things out a little. I smeared SGT all over the hideous gaps and proceed to file and sand until things were smooth. I had to rescribe some panel lines to add a little continuity. (You can also see the tiny ass piece of shit piece [white piece on right chest] I had to scratchbuild because I lost it..damnit!) Here's a shot:

Extra details- All throughout the suit, I added cirlcle molds. Some are noticeable in the above picture on the lower leg. There are also some topping off the holes I drilled for the arm springs. I also replaced some minus molds. Most noteably in the shoulders, (sloppy casting!) as you can see here:

...I won't bore you with other details about how I stiffened up many of the joints and replaced crappy polycaps with other materials (besides, I didn't take pics of that stuff either.) But, here is the pose I decided on...in all its unpainted glory:

PAINTING >>

Now of course, I can not paint most of my kits the standard colors so I went a little different route, as usual. I usually favor the weather beaten and used look for my mecha, especially the ground units...which entails a super duper flat coat at the end. However, being that this was a space unit, and a prototype no less, I decided to go shiny...super duper shiny. I had also seen some people use clear colors over a silver base. I wanted to experiment with that too, yet still retain the nice shaded look that I love. First, I skewered and office-clipped all my parts:

I then sprayed all the parts I was going to make orange, with alclad chrome. The parts that I was going to make grey were sprayed with alclad polished aluminum:
Next up was my preshading. I used Tamiya smoke, which is like a clear grey. I went over my normal preshading routine of hitting all details, edges, and crevices. It took many, many coats to begin to see a difference, being that the smoke is a translucent paint. Being sure not to overdo it, I then sprayed my orange parts orange. The grey parts were simply sprayed with more smoke, but even coats, holding the airbrush further from the part surfaces, to get coverage over the entire piece:
 

Now, the clear colors are already naturally glossy, so that got me off to a good start. I ran over each piece with a nice application of future. Then I did it again, and again. After that was cured I applied my oil wash. Once dried, I did another coat of future. Then it was decal time. In all the limited lineart I was able to locate, there were really no indications of markings, or no markings at all really. I took a look at my limited decal resources and some ideas popped into my head. After I was satisfied with the markings, it was future time again, just to smooth some of the edges, and blend the decals with the finish better. The result is what you see below...

 
 
 
 
 
©2005 Andy Wacht