This model started as a Bandai MG GM kai. I added to it the styrene conversion kit offered from Akohobby to make it into a Powered GM. This is quite a popular conversion so I wanted mine to stand out a little from the crowd. This meant incorporation a few simple mods, and creating a custom paint scheme.

CONSTRUCTION/MODIFICATIONS >>

I have not documented the build too well with pics. I did try to find the infamous GM visor material everybody seems to want these days. Upon the idea from a fellow CoM member, I found myself at a party supply store. I was very happy to locate this

This is transparent cellophane wrap with an iridescent coating applied. It seems the closest thing I've seen yet to the actual material used by Studio Reckless. Here is a shot with it applied to the visor, pre-painting stage.

PAINTING >>

I wanted to do something different, as I try to learn something new with each kit I build. It took a while for me to decide on a paint scheme for this bad-boy, but I finally settled on a sort of tiger-camo jungle-safari thing. Now I just had to figure out how to recreate the lineart I made with paint. How to approach the masking and order of color application. I've got to thank a fellow CoM member here, FichtenFoo. His use of Sticky-tak as a masking material got me to thinking about how I could use it to achieve the patterns I was going for. The end result is actually a very easy process, a little tedious, but what about modeling isn't a little tedious anyhow?

-I begin by painting the pieces a darker shade of the base color I'll be using. I then grab a tiny pinch of sticky-tak and roll it against my leg, or an otherwise flat surface to get the shape you see. It is then placed on the piece in mostly random places.

-I am planning on using threee color for my patterns, one above the and one below the initial sticky-tak piece. I then paint the secondary color (orange in this case) in a line right above each sticky-tak piece.

-More sticky-tak pieces are rolled and applied directly above the first pieces.

-I then spray the third color (dark green here) in a line below the initial sticky-tak pieces.

-Once again, more sticky-tak is rolled and placed below the initial pieces.

-Now, the entire piece is sprayed the base color of your choosing. I used a light shade of the undercoat in this case.

-Now the fun part. I removed all the sticky-tak blobs and this is the resulting effect.


 
 
 
 
 
©2005 Andy Wacht